- Overall expenditures during the period January to June 2021 stood at ZWL$197.6 billion, implying expenditures were above the half year target of ZWL$189.8 billion by ZWL$7.8 billion.
- Major expenditures were on Compensation of Employees at ZWL$80 billion against a target of ZWL$73.8 billion and Non-Financial Assets (capital budget) at ZWL$67.4 billion against a target of ZWL$58 billion.
- Social benefits and subsidies stood at ZWL$14.5 billion and ZWL$2.9 billion, against the half year targets of ZWL$6.1 billion and ZWL$1.4 billion, respectively.
- In the outlook to December 2021, budget expenditure target of ZWL$421.6 billion will be maintained as we try to contain expenditures, save for exigencies managed through reallocations, where necessary.
- In terms of Votes performance, disbursements to ministries, departments and agencies were generally in line with planned and budgeted programmes and projects, save for unforeseen but essential developments, particularly those meant to save and cushion lives against the pandemic.
- As a result, expenditure on Government programmes during the period under review, was 41% of total budget against a half year target of 45%.
Capital Development Budget
- Mr. Speaker Sir, capital spending as at 30 June 2021 amounted to ZWL$67.4 billion, against a target of ZWL$58 billion.
- Notwithstanding the slowdown in commencement of works during the first quarter on account of COVID-19 containment measures, support has since been availed towards development and infrastructure projects.
- Financial resources were disbursed mainly towards completion of ongoing works, as well as sustaining works on projects at advanced stages of completion in various sectors of the economy.
- Furthermore, Government has strengthened monitoring and evaluation of targeted projects in order to guide policy interventions that would upscale project execution.
- Devolution resources facilitated implementation of various projects across the country in areas of health, education, roads, water and sanitation.
Continued next page