While the spike was initially attributed to returning residents, mostly from South Africa, there has been an increase in local transmissions over the past week.
Deputy Health Minister John Mangwiro said this was probably because people were mixing too much instead of staying at home as advocated.
Some quarters say the government wants to use the coronavirus pandemic to clamp down on protests calling for ZANU-PF to go proposed for 31 July.
The figures, however, speak for themselves.
- In March when the pandemic broke out in Zimbabwe, there were only eight cases and one death.
- In April, there were 32 new cases, raising the total to 40. The deaths rose to four and there were five recoveries.
- In May there were 138 new cases raising the total to 178. Deaths remained at four but a total of 29 people had recovered.
- In June, the number of cases rose to 591, which meant 413 new cases. The deaths rose to 7 and a total of 162 had recovered.
- In the first nine days of this month there were 335 new cases. The number of deaths rose to 12 and that of recoveries to 306.
Click link below to receive free updates by whatsapp