Tsvangirai set out a 10-point plan to ensure free and fair elections which included:
- A credible voters’ roll
- Civil servants and traditional leaders to stick to their constitutional roles
- Stern action on vote-buying
- Chlorinating the ZEC secretariat
- Guaranteed access to the public media by all parties.
- Agreement on the printing of voting material
- Presence of polling agents from all political parties at polling stations
- Safety of candidates
- Diaspora vote
Thursday, 09 March 2017
President Morgan Tsvangirai's statement to the press
The party’s national executive has just met, amid the context of a worsening national crisis and Zanu PF’s attempt to steal the next election, even before that election is held.
I will appraise you on these and other key issues that we have deliberated upon in the national executive, including the people’s views that I gathered during my one-and-half months’ tour of the country’s provinces since the end of January this year. Some of the people’s inputs during my tour were strategic, some informed party policy while others were exclusively internal advice to the party and I hope you will understand if I do not give you the full bouquet of the people’s views.
However, we have mainly called this press briefing to highlight some of the important national issues that are pre-occupying the party and its organs, including the national executive that has just met.
Continued next page