Monday, 02 July 2018
ZEC continues to manipulate the 2018 election
We are disgusted and utterly dismayed by the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission’s continued manipulation of the election in clear violation of the law, the constitution and complete disregard for transparency and fair play.
This morning, I met with the ZEC chairperson to raise import issues pertaining to the management of the election. She has failed to provide answers on the critical issues.
ZEC has in a space of a few days committed or omitted the following acts that go to the heart of transparency and ultimately the credibility of the election.
- Despite assurances and announcing that ZEC was going to provide the true and accurate BVR Voters’ Roll as a pdf file, no such Roll is being provided. The real question is why is ZEC deliberately lying to the world or is ZEC actually lying or perhaps just handicapped to implement its own decision?
- ZEC has refused to avail the Voter’s Roll as required by Law
- ZEC has refused an independent audit of the Voter’s Roll because they know it is illegitimate
- Our own random audit has unearthed scandalous and embarrassing details on the Voter’s Roll.
- We have discovered some of the oldest people on our Voters’ Roll aged around 150 years old who don’t exist
- We have discovered many houses that have tens of people registered but the houses do not exist
- We have discovered many people with the same IDs
- We have discovered many people with same IDs for different faces of people
- Despite assurances that political parties were going to be allowed to observe the printing of ballot papers; ZEC invited parties to the printers three days after the printing had already commenced. Further no observation was allowed but instead parties were just pointed, at a distance, through glasses of the purported printing process i.e.
- no printed ballot paper was inspected
- the actual quality and features of the ballot paper are not known other than a blank sample of what looks like a gift-wrapping paper
- the design of the ballot paper is not known
- the print run for the ballot papers is not known by anyone either than ZEC and Mnangagwa as a candidate because his government owns and controls the printer
- whether that was the actual printing process and not just an act is not known
- whether the people who were purportedly working on the printers are employees of fidelity printers is not known
- whether fidelity printers has not been hijacked is also not known
- as it stands only Mnangagwa and Chigumba know the quality, design, quantity of the ballot paper.
- as it stands only Mnangagwa and Chigumba know about the alleged secret ballots that are reported to have been imported from Russia over the weekend
Continued next page