HON. BHUDA-MASARA: Madam Speaker, I move the motion standing in my name that this House:
COGNISANT that the Republic of Zimbabwe is signatory to the Beijing +25 Declaration, the Convention on the Elimination of All forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), the SADC Protocol on Gender and Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
RECOGNISING that Sections 17, 56, 78, 79, 80 of the Constitution of Zimbabwe provide for gender equality;
NOTING the commemoration of 16 Days of Activism against Gender Based Violence Campaign from 25 November – 10 December 2020, being held under the theme “Orange the world: Fund, Respond, Prevent, Collect”;
DEEPLY CONCERNED by the escalation of gender-based violence cases in Zimbabwe during the COVID 19 lockdown period;
WORRIED about the passion killings, abuse and harassment of women in public spaces;
NOW THEREFORE, in line with the eradication of Gender Based Violence and violence against women and girls (VAWG) campaign, calls upon:
- a) Government to invest in issues of GBV and VAWG through gender responsive budgeting;
- b) Government to create an enabling environment for data collection and evidence which has always been a weakness in addressing violence against women because more is needed not just the number of the abused but knowledge and data that inform responses, policies and budgets; and
- c) All stakeholders to participate and add their voice to GBV during this year’s commemoration campaign.
HON. MUNETSI: I second.
HON. BHUDA-MASARA: Madam Speaker Ma’am, the 16 Days of Activism against Gender based Violence is a global Campaign to oppose violence against Women, Men, Boys and Girls. It aims to raise awareness of the negative impact that violence and abuse have on women and children who are the most vulnerable and to also rid society of abuse. This International Campaign is a United Nations campaign which takes place annually from 25 November – 10 December. However, during the same period, other key commemorative events include: 25 November – The International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.
- 1 December – World Aids Day.
- 3 December: – International day for people with disability.
- 10 December – International Human Rights Day.
Notwithstanding the above events, the theme for this year’s campaign is “Orange the world: Fund, Respond, Prevent, Collect”
Continued next page