A British online publication, the Huffington Post, has come up with six reasons why people should not celebrate “dictator” President Robert Mugabe’s 90th birthday. The reasons were culled from Human Rights Watch.
- Water Crisis– A water and sanitation crisis in Harare “places millions of residents at risk of waterborne disease”.
- Gay Rights– Mugabe recently stated that LGBT citizens are “worse than dogs and pigs,” and threatened to behead them.
- Freedom of Speech-‘A campaign of politically motivated abuses against civil society by the police..continues under the new administration.’
- Unemployment– Estimated at 60%
- HIV/AIDS– The fifth highest in the world, at 14.7%
- Democracy– The UK expressed ‘grave concerns’ over the election that returned Mugabe to power in July, HRW identified ‘widespread irregularities’.
What’s your take?