It said that in order to curtail the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, a body will now be buried in the town or city where the death would have occurred.
This decision is aimed at ensuring that the spread of COVID-19 is contained.
There has been a surge of coronavirus cases since the last week of December with 144 deaths and 7 610 cases being recorded since the beginning of this year up to yesterday.
Below are the protocols to be observed during the burial process:
1.The Police will only clear body movements for burial straight from a funeral parlour or hospital mortuary to the burial site.
- No body viewing will be allowed.
- Bodies will not be taken home.
- The public is urged to keep a distance of 4 metres as the body is lowered into the grave by either city health of funeral parlour officials.
- The grave site will be disinfected before and after the burial.
- Gatherings at funerals have been reduced to strictly 30 people.
- For those who want to transport the body for burial outside the city or town of death, they should ensure that the body is hermetically sealed in a triple coffin before collection of body from funeral parlour or hospital mortuary.
Police Commanders in all provinces have been advised to ensure that the Governments directive is complied with. The public is accordingly informed of this important message.