The Morgan Tsvangirai faction of the Movement for Democratic Change today announced that it is recalling 15 Members of Parliament and three senators elected on the party ticket last year following a resolution at its congress at the weekend.
According to the resolution, “Congress resolved to ratify the decision of the National Council to expel Tendai Biti, Elton Mangoma, Solomon Madzore and all the renegades who have transformed themselves into MDC Renewal.”
It said that the “MDC renewal must forthwith cease to use the party’s name and symbols as they did with party colours.”
Under the national constitution, a legislator can lose his or her seat if the political party of which he or she was a member when elected to parliament writes to the Speaker or President of the Senate declaring that the member has ceased to be a member of the party.
The decision to recall the legislators could lead to a lengthy legal battle between the two factions as this could once again drag them back legitimacy.
The MPs that were recalled from parliament are:
- Tendai Biti – Harare East Constituency
- Willias Madzimure – Kambuzuma
- Paul Madzore – Glen View Sout
- Solomon Madzore – Dzivarasekwa
- Lucia Matibenga – Kuwadzana West
- Samuel Sipepa Nkomo – Lobengula
- Reggie Moyo – Luveve
- Evelyn Masaiti – PR
- Bekithemba Nyathi – Mpopoma/Pelandaba
- Moses Manyengavana – Highfield West
- Albert Mhlanga – Pumula
- Roseline Nkomo – Tsholotsho North
- Settlement Chikwinya – Mbizo
- Judith Muzhavazhe – PR
- Gorden Moyo – Makokoba
Those recalled from Senate are:
- Sekai Holland – Chizhanje
- Rorana Muchihwa – Chikomo
- Watchy Sibanda – Mat South.