Categories: Stories

ZMDC requires $54m to restart gold mines

State-owned mining investment vehicle, Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC) is seeking $54 million to restart its three mothballed gold mines, a report by a visiting British mission has shown.

ZMDC acting general manager, Wilson Chinzou told the first United Kingdom trade mission to Zimbabwe in over a decade last month that the corporation is keen to revive operations at the gold mines to boost bullion output.

Zimbabwe and its former colonial master, Britain fell out with in 2000, mainly over oft-violent seizures of white-owned land to resettle blacks as well as accusations of poll fraud. Mugabe has accused successive British governments of plotting his ouster as retribution for what he describes as necessary land reform.

“ZMDC owns three gold mines (Elvington, Jena and Sabi), two of which are in operation. ZMDC is seeking around US$54 million for the resuscitation, recapitalisation, mechanisation, and the long-term growth and development of these operations,” reads the Zimbabwe Scoping Report compiled by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

In July, Chinzou told a parliamentary portfolio committee on mines and energy that Runoff Mine, which is under Sabi, suspended operations at the end of May due to low production with employees being sent on unpaid leave. The mine employs 420 workers.

Mine property was also attached by creditors who are owed $7.4 million while power utility,  Zesa cut power at the mine over a $1 million debt, resulting in the mine flooding. Its assets are worth $12.7 million while current liabilities stand at $17 million.

The mine has capacity to produce 45kg per month and requires $15 million to recapitalise.

Elvington Gold Mine, which used to be ZMDC’s biggest gold producer but was mothballed in 2003 following the collapse of a mine shaft, requires $13 million to resuscitate operations.

Currently the mine is conducting sand retreatment at two dumps.- The Source

(138 VIEWS)

Charles Rukuni

The Insider is a political and business bulletin about Zimbabwe, edited by Charles Rukuni. Founded in 1990, it was a printed 12-page subscription only newsletter until 2003 when Zimbabwe's hyper-inflation made it impossible to continue printing.

Recent Posts

Why I had a girlfriend two months after my wife’s death

This is a true story about the challenges and loneliness I faced when my wife…

May 17, 2026

Coming soon

My first long-form article in booklet form: Why I had a girlfriend two months after…

May 16, 2026

Insider Publisher starts whatsapp channel

The editor and publisher of The Insider, Charles Rukuni, has started a whatsapp channel through…

May 15, 2026

Who propped whom: Masiyiwa vs Nyambirai?

A friend who knows about my legal battle with Zimbabwe’s richest man, Strive Masiyiwa, way…

May 1, 2026

Britain says amendment of the Zimbabwean Constitution is a sovereign, legislative matter for Zimbabwe to decide

Britain says amendment of the Zimbabwe constitution is a sovereign, legislative matter for Zimbabwe to…

March 24, 2026

Who started the war?

It is now 47 years since I wrote the short story below for a South…

March 4, 2026