Categories: Stories

Zimre Holdings narrows loss from $23 million to $2 million

Zimre Holdings narrowed its loss by 90 percent to $2.2 million for the full-year to December, from $23.1 million recorded in the preceding year on increased business retention and cost containment measures.

“The improvement was mainly due to increased business retention, favourable claims experience, the positive impact of the group restructuring and cost cutting measures being implemented and reduction in share of losses from associates,” said chairman Ben Khumalo.

Total income dropped 14 percent to $28.1 million as a result of a decline in gross premiums written.

Net premiums earned which accounted for 77 percent of total income was down 8 percent to $21.8 million in the period, from $23.8 million in the previous year due to a soft domestic insurance market and weak local currencies in the group’s major regional markets of Mozambique and Malawi.

Total assets fell 7 percent to $102.8 million in the period compared to $110.5 million in the preceding year.

Khumalo said the group’s domestic reinsurance business, Baobab Reinsurance narrowed its operating losses to $700 000 from the $4.8 million recorded in the previous year on improved underwriting standards.

However on regional reinsurance, profit for the year decreased by 69 percent to $400 000 in the period from $1.3 million in the prior year after gross premiums declined by 31 percent to $17 million.

The life and health insurance businesses gross premiums written were down 18 percent to $4.2 million while operating profit decreased by 8 percent to $1.1 million in the period from $1.2 million previously.

Revenue generated from property rose by 5 percent to $4 million compared to $3.8 million reported in the preceding year.

Contributions from the group’s associates Nicoz Diamond, Fidelity and CFI remained low weighed down by losses in CFI Holdings, Khumalo added.

However, CFI Holdings is envisaged to recover following a debt restructuring exercise which lowered its debt from $19.1 million to $5.1 million. – The Source

(44 VIEWS)

Charles Rukuni

The Insider is a political and business bulletin about Zimbabwe, edited by Charles Rukuni. Founded in 1990, it was a printed 12-page subscription only newsletter until 2003 when Zimbabwe's hyper-inflation made it impossible to continue printing.

Recent Posts

Why I had a girlfriend two months after my wife’s death

This is a true story about the challenges and loneliness I faced when my wife…

May 17, 2026

Coming soon

My first long-form article in booklet form: Why I had a girlfriend two months after…

May 16, 2026

Insider Publisher starts whatsapp channel

The editor and publisher of The Insider, Charles Rukuni, has started a whatsapp channel through…

May 15, 2026

Who propped whom: Masiyiwa vs Nyambirai?

A friend who knows about my legal battle with Zimbabwe’s richest man, Strive Masiyiwa, way…

May 1, 2026

Britain says amendment of the Zimbabwean Constitution is a sovereign, legislative matter for Zimbabwe to decide

Britain says amendment of the Zimbabwe constitution is a sovereign, legislative matter for Zimbabwe to…

March 24, 2026

Who started the war?

It is now 47 years since I wrote the short story below for a South…

March 4, 2026