Categories: Stories

Mnangagwa wades into false abductions as he leaves for UN

President Emmerson Mnangagwa today condemned what he termed false abductions before leaving for the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York.

In an address to the nation, Mnangagwa said while he was happy that the acting president of the Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association Peter Magombeyi had been found safe and unharmed, he was disturbed by the growing number of politically motivated false abductions which he said were aimed at tarnishing the image of the country.

Mnangagwa said this political trickery amounted to terrorism and new measures might have to be formulated to deal with this new threat.

Magombeyi disappeared on Saturday evening and was found at Nyabira, about 34 km from Harare, yesterday evening.

He claims that he was tortured but does not seem to remember much else.

His phone was still working prompting some critics to ask what type of phone he had because they would want such a phone which can go for five days without being charged, unless of course it was being charged.

Mnangagwa’s comments could compromise investigations by the police which they said were in full swing.

Police said Magombeyi had been examined by his own medical team and government medical officers.

He was safe and was not under arrest.

Police said Magombeyi will be interviewed once he is cleared by his medical team.

“We are waiting to talk to him once he has been discharged. As of now he said he is physically fit but we are also waiting for the results from the examination that was conducted by the doctors,” police said.

Police spokesman Paul Nyathi told the Voice of America that Magombeyi had also met his family and they were interacting with the police.

“He has accessed his family and they are also interacting with the police. There is no misunderstanding at all and he’ll be interviewed by the police, once he is cleared by the medical team,” Nyathi said.

“So I want to dispel some of the information that has been circulating in the social media platform and some of the information that is being posted on the social media platform.

“I also want to caution the public against, against trying to defeat or obstruct the course of justice that is not factual, that is misleading.”

(191 VIEWS)

Charles Rukuni

The Insider is a political and business bulletin about Zimbabwe, edited by Charles Rukuni. Founded in 1990, it was a printed 12-page subscription only newsletter until 2003 when Zimbabwe's hyper-inflation made it impossible to continue printing.

Recent Posts

Why I had a girlfriend two months after my wife’s death- Take 1

I had always considered it a curse for a wife to die before her husband.…

May 18, 2026

Why I had a girlfriend two months after my wife’s death

This is a true story about the challenges and loneliness I faced when my wife…

May 17, 2026

Coming soon

My first long-form article in booklet form: Why I had a girlfriend two months after…

May 16, 2026

Insider Publisher starts whatsapp channel

The editor and publisher of The Insider, Charles Rukuni, has started a whatsapp channel through…

May 15, 2026

Who propped whom: Masiyiwa vs Nyambirai?

A friend who knows about my legal battle with Zimbabwe’s richest man, Strive Masiyiwa, way…

May 1, 2026

Britain says amendment of the Zimbabwean Constitution is a sovereign, legislative matter for Zimbabwe to decide

Britain says amendment of the Zimbabwe constitution is a sovereign, legislative matter for Zimbabwe to…

March 24, 2026